Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hey Shorty!

Before I begin, I'd like to comment that I've had two helpings of coffee already today including a quad venti non-fat carmel latte with whip and drizzle (ultimate fav) and a medium black coffee. I feel nothing extra special but a little tired. How can this be? Come ON caffeine, work your magic on me!!!

This post is titled "Hey Shorty" because I have a bone to pick. When I went to Dunkin Donuts today to get my coffee, I had a rather unpleasant experience. I wasn't ready to order yet so I stood pretty far back from the counter. I was clearly on my phone asking a co-worker what kind of bagel she wanted. Both employees behind the counter repeatedly asked me what I wanted. First, I worked in that type of environment and I know that what they did is completely inappropriate. Second, IM ON MY PHONE!!! Third, I stepped away from the counter, far away, so that it was clear that I was not trying to place my order.
Moving on, when I finally got up to the counter, both short little ladies just glared at me. I said "hello, im ready to order now" in the most polite tone I could muster. The one says "waddya want" in a tiny quiet yet somehow rude voice. I asked for two bagels toasted with cream cheese and she walked away. The other one goes (with disdain dripping off every word) "whad didsha ged"? This little one was not quiet and I couldnt even tell if she was talking to me or the other person. I answered her so as not to be rude and she replied "anithing elsh?" so I said, "yes please, I would like a medium cup of black coffee" and she said "anithing elsh?" so I said, "just the coffee, thank you" and she replied "anithing elsh?!?!?" so at this point I said "NO THANK YOU" rather loud. She slammed my coffee down on the counter and took my money. She provided no receipt and didn't say another word.
Now, I would like to know what I did to so severely tick these women off that they felt the need to behave that way. I did everything I thought I could to be respectful. Moving away from the counter until I was ready to order, speaking clearly about what I wanted, having my money ready, being as polite as possible, etc.
I'm 5'9". I'm no giant but I'm certainly not short. I appreciate my height but I have to say, I never notice that people are short unless they have a chip on their shoulder about it. My advice, quit being angry about being short. You have one life, and one body. Love yourself, make yourself the best version of who you can be and LIVE. Brush that chip off your shoulder and the with the weight lifted, maybe you'll feel a little taller.

On-wards and Up-wards...

I have pictures to share because I had a great time last Saturday with my Momma up in Lake Geneva. I really needed to get away but I think she did too. We hung out and went out for dinner and shopped a little. It was such a nice respite from all the craziness that's been going on lately.
Here is a little photo story:

This is the Lodge we stayed at

This is Sunday morning when we stopped at Covenant Harbor to buy some Maple Syrup but they were all sold out!





The blue chords are running from tree to tree collecting sap and letting gravity carry the sap down the hill!








That's sap from the maple trees!








Official greeters at Cov Harbor!


Me and my Momma. This picture is pretty indicative of our weekend. Me being being cheesy and mom laughing at me.

Loved it.

4 comments:

  1. oh kate - that last picture of you and your mother is PERFECT. seriously adorable. i expect to see that on your desk proudly.

    BUT ALSO: it's safe to say that i'd be happy to team with you against short people between now and eternity. i consider myself an "expert witness" to the accounts above and it was abominable what those "ladies" did you to you. (okay maybe abominable is a little extreme, but i'm upset for you...) we both work in customer service, and have worked in the food service industry previously - and some people just should not. not just "should not speak" or "should not frown" - but just "SHOULD NOT ANYTHING".

    ...

    ....

    (so basically, let's not return there. ever.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also what was i supposed to say to that lady? "I CANT HEAR YOU ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE"!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your "situation." Maybe you wil have SHORT TERM MEMORY and soon forget about it? (Oh, that's right, you are too young for short term memory issues.)

    And I love, love, love that picture of you with your momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO ONE i have ever known to work at dunkin' donuts has been cordial in any way...

    ReplyDelete