Friday, August 27, 2010

Are you really sure that you're right?

Sometimes when I'm at work and a Dr calls for information, they are very very certain that they are correct. They could be calling for any kind of information (log-ins, web addresses, evaluation processes) but when they ask you a question, they really don't ask you anything. They tell you what they are doing and that the website is broken.

(guess what? it's not broken)


Then they will proceed to explain to you every detail of what they have done and what they are trying to do. I usually use this time to look up their information and confirm what they are talking about. (All along, I know the answer to their question but I let them continue to talk) When they stop to take a breath, sometimes I politely interrupt and sometimes I just wait until they talk themselves out.

When I finally have a chance to explain what they need to do and why what they were trying to do was wrong, all the sudden the Dr will become very very pleasant and sometimes quite sheepish.

My advice? Trust that the person in the "call center" knows what you're talking about and give them a chance to help you...

But if you get stuck with someone who is clearly incompetent at least be a bit patient, people yell at us and talk down to us all day.

As a sidenote, I'm having an awesomely fun day and I'm not grumpy at all, I just thought i'd share my random musings on phone calls

6 comments:

  1. I miss you!

    I'm glad to hear you were having a good day when you wrote this post, keep up the good attitude! :) Can't wait to fika with you (and pair up our coffee with way too many chocolate balls!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never understand why people think rudeness is a good way to go about doing things - especially when talking with customer service reps or others of similar profession. sure, yell, bitch and moan, and you *might* get your way, but if you're pleasant and patient, you can get so much farther, and then you're not a total A-hole...

    on a side note, i'm also glad that you're having a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PREACH!!! (insert me slow clapping here)...

    the best part of it all, is when they realize they were wrong the whole time and are just like, 'oh....well thanks so much for EVERYTHING!!!'

    sheesh.



    let's get monster's on monday so we can be 'pen-clicking' buddies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, yes to coffee/choc balls (and too many of them) and also, can we have craft time because I need to learn how to do all the awesome projects you're posting on your blog!

    Zoe, sooo true! I go out of my way to help the people who are nice. The people who are super rude to me only get the bare minimum

    Red, I was nuts wasn't i? I shouldn't be allowed to have clicky pens and monster within the same hour

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love a good craft time, especially with friends!!

    ReplyDelete