Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hidden flavors

I have the same cup of coffee every morning. Large, Black McDonalds coffee. More often than not I drink about 90% of it. Due to the way my morning goes, I'm done eating by the time I get to my nice warm beverage. This also means that I have been cheating myself out of some quite surprising experiences.
Today, I had half a donut (eep! I know! Don't tell me trainer, lmao). Now, I knew that coffee was meant to be had with treats (ie, fika in Sweden) but I had forgotten! The great delight I experienced after taking a bite of doughnut and then a huge swig of coffee just brightened my morning! To think, I have been drinking the same thing every morning. Tasting the same thing. Experiencing the same thing, day in and day out. All this time I could have been experiencing something new and exciting. The flavors that the coffee/doughnut mixture made in my mouth were so rich and pleasant.... I fear I might get chunky again just trying to re-inact this morning. hahaha (just kidding, doughnuts aren't worth being chunky)
I worked at sbux for a few years and we did pairings and tastings all the time and I have to say, I really miss it. I can also see how people would really enjoy doing tastings with food and alcohol as well, though after a while, I'd guess that almost anything would start to taste very good. haha.
All of this has got me thinking that there are probably many areas of my life that could be much more exciting and thrilling if I just let them. If I were open to pairing my daily activities or responsibilities with different "goodies" I might be a much happier person. I've felt stuck lately and instead of trying to get un-stuck maybe I should let God show me how I can enjoy the little things through him.
Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. i love this post! (i'm a huge fan of "pairing" things, both food and otherwise.)

    and it's surprisingly amazing just how much joy the little things can bring to a day... happy wednesday! ;)

    if ben & i lived in chicago, i'd totally say we should start a monthly "pairing night" get together.... :( i miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kate, i love everything about this post. seriously, i love the idea of two seemingly boring things being put together to create something fantastically different. let's figure out some sort of food pairing when we hang out next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. zoe, i wish you guys lived in chicago but im so excited you'll be in MN!

    Red, can't wait for our fun night together!

    ReplyDelete