Monday, January 11, 2010

Why photos?

McDonalds, Medium black coffee 6 of 10

I love taking pictures. I think its mostly because I love to have physical things help me hang on to memories. You can look at a picture and remember exactly what you were doing and who was there. The picture can capture your feelings or even show feelings you didn't realize you had.
Somehow when you see something so beautiful and you can't have it or take it or touch it, if you take a picture of it, you can. Like a gorgeous flower or a beautiful sunset. You can't go around grabbing peoples flowers out of their yards but you can stop and take a beautiful picture of it. This is a flower I saw when I was out taking pictures one day. The colors were so warm and beautiful and soft. I imagined that the flower smelled like cotton candy and the perfectly sweet perfume that I am constantly on the hunt for. Though it did smell delicious, it was nothing like I imagined, but when I look at this picture, it smells like cotton candy.
To top it off, each picture is like its own little time capsule. It holds everything in the moment the shutter snapped. The exact millisecond. Like an old journal, when you flip back through old entries or pictures you're immediately there... sometimes, so strongly that you feel the emotions again: laughter, tears, joy, excitement, infatuation, relief or peace.
I adore old pictures and I treasure what they do for me. I can meet or get to know my ancestors or those who were taken from us too early. Some of my favorites are from my childhood, things i dont even really remember but love that I did.

I used to think that photography was a cheaters form of art. There is no paint, no clay, no pencil... but when i started to get into it, i realized it is grounded, organic, essential art. You have to have an eye for photography and understand your camera. You have to understand lighting and shutter speeds, movement and color.
I need to learn more.
Here are some of my favorites...










More to come, you know i couldn't just pick 5 but for now, they will do

1 comment:

  1. very well written! i feel like i know a bit more about your passions :) you know i'm a photo fan myself - and i think these ones are fab!

    ReplyDelete